Thursday, July 31, 2008

Graphing Basics

My plan tomorrow is to work on the discussion for graphing linear equations. I am always amazed at how many of my students are able to graph equations one day and then look at me blank faced the next. When I teach students how to graph from the beginning I emphasize its meaning. Thus I think it is appropriate to spend a considerable amount of time having students graph using T-Charts. Other forms of graphing are important for various reasons, but it is very important for students to view a line as a collection of solutions. In my opinion, the best way to accomplish this is to work with T-charts. Eventually, I teach the intercept method and obviously the slope-intercept method, but conceptually I think it is essential that students have a concrete understanding of the relationship between solutions and a graph.

What are some of your best tips for introducing graphs? I will be talking about slope later on, so I am just looking for ideas about how to graph using T-charts.

No comments: